Smoky Mountain Sunset
It’s our favorite time of year again, that’s right, it’s vacation time! I’m sure you’re in the middle of planning all of the exciting details of your upcoming Smoky Mountains trip. While we have plenty of entertaining shows and attractions here to take advantage of, sometimes it’s nice to just go out and become one with nature so to speak. One of my favorite things about living here is getting to see our beautiful mountains in all their glory no matter what time of year it is. There is no better time to see them than when the sun is just beginning to set (especially in the fall!) It brings upon this sense of happiness and comfort which just can’t be beat. One big perk of staying with us here at Whispering Pines is that we actually offer gorgeous mountain view condos, so you don’t even have to drive or hike anywhere to see the sunrise or sunset! That’s right, you can sit outside on your private balcony with a warm cup of coffee and take in everything that the Smokies have to offer. Another perk of staying with us is that we have a FREE TICKETS program for you to take advantage of! This entertainment pass is for numerous shows and attractions in the area and you’ll be saving up to $275 a day, talk about an incredible deal! So where else can you go to see some amazing views? Join us on this little guide to the Best Places To See a Smoky Mountain Sunset! We’re sure that you’ll be adding a few of these to your itinerary when you’re in town.
- Morton Overlook – If you’re looking for one of the best places to see the sunset, you can’t get any better than this location. This scenic overlook is one of the most popular ones around because you can directly see the sun setting from this pull off, it’s a great photo opportunity. Another exciting thing about this particular spot is that during certain points of the year, the sun will actually align with the peaks when it starts to set and it’s an incredible site to see so make sure to have your cameras ready! It’s also very easy to find. From Gatlinburg, take 441 into the Smoky Mountains National Park (towards Cherokee) for about 15.8 miles and you will exit a tunnel just before reaching Morton Overlook, it will be on your right hand side (if you find yourself at Newfound Gap, you’ve gone too far.) Get there early, this place fills up fast. Make sure to add this one to your list, you won’t regret it!
- Newfound Gap – If you continue driving from Morton Overlook, you will shortly reach this next incredible destination! Newfound Gap is another overlook that offers some of the best views of the mountains that you can find. Whether it’s sunrise or sunset, this location is absolutely breathtaking and is sure to give you some incredible photos to take home with you. One exciting fact about this particular spot is it’s the lowest drivable pass through the Smoky Mountains, so don’t forget to check it out when you’re in town! Seeing the sunset will easily become one of the most important things to do here on your list and this overlook will take the cake when it comes to checking out that special view with the family.
- Clingmans Dome – This is one of the most popular destinations in the Smokies and there’s a reason for it, it’s one of the most beautiful and magical spots to visit to see the mountains in all their glory! There’s no better time to see it than when the sun is starting to set on these rolling hills. They just recently announced that some of their observation tower rehabilitation has been postponed until early next year, so you can visit this amazing spot now, but only if you hike to it, they are not allowing vehicles at this time. Whether you’re taking a hike on one of their numerous trails or even just visiting the parking lot, seeing these panoramic views right before your eyes will be the highlight of your vacation. This location is bound to become a staple during every visit here in the future!
- Gatlinburg Space Needle – Get ready to climb aboard this incredible observation tower and see some of the most magical views around! You will be able to see 360 degree views of our very own beautiful Smoky Mountains and the town, so you will want to have your camera ready for this one. This view will be one that you’ll never forget, and one of the best times to see it is during the sunset, if you ask me! Located at traffic light #8, you won’t want to miss this particular location when you’re visiting one of our favorite spots – Gatlinburg!
- Ober Gatlinburg – Once you’re down at the Space Needle, it’s time to head over to one of the best places to see the sunset – Ober! Climb aboard the aerial tramway and get ready for a quick ride to the top of Ski Mountain that will feature some gorgeous views along the way. Once you get off, there are still plenty of things to do at this amusement park to help you enjoy the sunset. Whether it’s riding the scenic chairlift or their very own alpine slide, you will fall absolutely in love with the scenery! Best part about this spot is that they turn into a ski resort during the winter, so you may be able to ski and snowboard your way down the slopes and see the sunset while you do so. Make sure you sign up for an evening session so you don’t miss the beauty surrounding the mountains as the sun does down!
- Anakeesta – This new site offers some of my all time favorite views of the mountains in Gatlinburg! Whether you’re on their chairlift or at the top doing some shopping, these views will easily grab your attention and you may want to never leave after you see them. The definition of beautiful describes the scenery you will see when you’re visiting this location, it’s a complete and unobstructed view of all the magic that our Smokies possess! There’s nothing better than seeing this spot when the sun is beginning to set and it’s even nicer to see in the winter when all the lights are displayed in Gatlinburg. This will easily become a must see for the family whenever you come to visit us!
We hope you enjoyed this guide to some of the Best Places To See a Smoky Mountain Sunset! There is nothing better than seeing our rolling hills as the sun is beginning to set over them, it’s a view that you will want to come back and see time and time again. You just can’t beat getting to experience all the magic of the Smokies when you’re in town. So what are you waiting for? Book your vacation now and get your camera ready! It’s time to come and enjoy the sunset with us here at Whispering Pines! We would love to make you a part of our family now and for years to come.